Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day Five

After a quick breakfast at the hotel, I will be leaving at 8:00 am for the ride home. After 3 hours and 45 minutes of driving, I'll arrive in Meridian, MS. They currently have an art project in which 50 brightly colored carousel horses can be found around town. I found this particularly tasteful one in front of a McDonald's, which I will most certainly take a picture on. I will not be eating at McDonald's.

Instead I'll be going to Weidmann's. Established in 1870, it is the oldest restaurant in the state, and is known as a Meridian, MS staple. After looking at the lunch menu, I am already decided on the fried green tomatoes and the smoked salmon BLT. Delicious.

I'll head out at 1:30 pm and do my best to drive non-stop to Canton, TX, which is about 7 hours. Here I will find the world famous (at least according to East Texas) Dairy Palace, built in 1984. It boasts a simple, delicious burger with the best milk shakes around. Sounds like dinner to me.

From here on out it's the home stretch. Four hours more of driving and I will arrive back in the beautiful city of Austin, TX. My journey will be over, but I will have done plenty of meaningful things as I engaged in the life and loves of Ralph Ellison, as well as interacted with the history and present of the Tuskegee Airmen. I hope to be more knowledgeable and more appreciative of this literature when I return.

For my trip home, I will be listening to the likes of Duke Ellington. Ellison loved his music, and wrote about him in some of his works. Ellington was a huge inspiration for Ellison, so I hope to be inspired in some way (if only to stay awake). Here is a video of the Duke playing his classic "Take The 'A' Train."




No comments:

Post a Comment